For someone who can focus well when she needs to, I spend an inordinate amount of time purposefully distracted. In exactly one month from today, I leave for a month-long intensive yoga training in California. (Plus one bonus week at the end that serendipitously includes my birthday.) I’m physically organized and my room has systems, but mentally, I am chaos. My parents gave me a Passion Planner for Christmas. It reminds me of the raincoat-yellow Bachelor Bulldog planners we had in middle school, which were likely the single biggest reason I was a successful student from ages 12-14. That, great teachers, and not having friends.
I like to spend a solid hour with my planner, making sure the week is set and I’m not missing anything I have to get done. Or at least wish I could get done, which is exactly the same thing. I had to work this Sunday, though, and that is my planning day, (it’s been three weeks so obviously it’s a solid “thing I do” now) and suddenly my brain is leaking out of my nose. Which creates today, wherein I made this list of all the shit I have to get done between now and February 27th.
- find subletter for my room/apt - someone not awful
- put laundry away
- clean out closet (maybe do this first)
- change sheets, actually clean room, not the bullshit from last week
- sell books - how does eBay work?
- learn eBay
- figure out budget, pick a scenario with money
- find some money
- try to check only one bag
- how am I going to bring my yoga mat when it doesn’t fit in any bags?
- google “weather temps for March, LA”
- DO NOT BRING ALL YOGA PANTS
- email studio about yoga membership starting this week
- fall into rabbit hole of checking class schedules
- get up early every morning next week for the 9ams?
- omfg what am I going to do when I have to be at training every day at 9am??
- totes different when there’s sun
- sunblock (can get this there, nut)
- haircut (only if it’s in budget)
- j/k, let’s try some lightening shampoo and get into hats
- but also eat all remaining food in the cabinet
- google “what goes with lentils”
- Target? <— NO. Target ban since two weeks ago
- clean bathroom
- tomorrow: class, coffee, emails
- live off of acai bowls and coffee
- check that this is a thing
I feel better when I write things down. A little more focused, a lot more excited. Today was a long day of teaching and practicing, of staying focused and passionate. At 6:45 PM, the T stopped working at Boylston and I was forced onto a crowded train with all middle school students. I hadn’t eaten much and they were loud and it was miserable. I tried to think of their planners, possibly with folded-down pages in alternating directions like mine. Then one of them jumped on my back and I remembered how much I deeply hated 8th grade.
In my haste to leave the whole thing behind, I tripped up the stairs out of Haymarket. No one saw, or cared, but now I have a lumpy bruise on my shin, and one more thing on the list.
- ice leg